7 Ways To Improve Your PC’s Security
The greatest of connection we have with the world is through computers. The usage of computers provides us information for anything we need to research, for payment of bills, banking, and video chatting and also contains much personal information. The reliability of computers though is not 100%. Oftentimes we’ll neglect to install security to keep it running smoothly. There are many malwares which can attack a computer and can compromise the inner workings of it. Too often people are forced to perform a hard drive data recovery when their computer suddenly crashes. Here are 7 ways by which the security of your PC can be improved:
- A secure network is what the computer should be connected to – securing the router before starting the internet is of great help and if you do not have a router then asking the service provider to secure the internet connection is the alternative.
- Installing software such as antivirus and antispyware – the malwares can be easily detected if antivirus is installed. If you want to keep the computer protected at all times then allow automatic updates to occur. Installing the software from a reliable source is crucial for its authenticity.
- Changing the unnecessary default features – It is important to eliminate the features which can attack your computer. Some features that are not required can be disabled and default settings have to be applied. Windows has a feature called AutoRun, which when enabled, detects the removable media, so that when you are inserting any USB and CD, the function is automatically executed.
- Web browsers needs to be secured – You need to secure the web browser by disabling the code of mobile websites which are unfamiliar or are not trustworthy. Cookies should be allowed, but only for some sessions. Levels of security for the trusted sites should be high if Internet Explorer is being used.
- Updates of the software should be applied together with automatic updates – If your computer offers the automatic update option, it might be a good idea to keep that on. If the computer is new, be sure to update the computer with these securities.
- Services which are not in use should be disabled – the sharing option for printing and files can be intrusive and can leave your computer vulnerable. Disabling such services will reduce the risk of anything bad happening.
- Least Privilege option helps in the operating – the administrator account should be used for daily activity especially during system and software changes.
Always proceed with caution whenever any link or email attachments are opened. Opening reliable web pages and e-mails and creating strong passwords will surely improve the computer’s security. You should constantly be implementing the latest safety and security measures for a better working computer.